Habits, good and bad


Habits are funny old things. We talk of the 'habits of a lifetime' or 'breaking the habit'. Habits are part of a routine be they good or bad. We also talk of 'addictive habits' - a work colleague took me to one side, when I was in my 20's, and explained how easy it is to fall into the habit of drinking too much alcohol. Easy to get the habit and can be brutally difficult to lose it! He was, and still is, a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. I often think of him and the influence he had on me for long-term good. September and January herald new resolutions:- increasing fitness; losing the holiday kilo/pounds; healthier lifestyle. The problem is that after the first few weeks, so many of us slide right back into same old, same old. We don't tend to appreciate our environment half enough because it's like a habit - always there and we are unaware of the small imperceptible changes that happen daily unless of course there is a catastrophe.
Autumn Colour


This year, I have been privileged to walk our land in a different way as one of the farmers in West Cork Farm Tours. Showing people and telling them a bit of where we've come from and what has been achieved. The questions and comments have been as diverse as our farm:-

  • What are wellies?'; 
  • When I explained that one of the species Willie had planted was oak and they won't mature for 180-200 years, the question was, 'what age are you?' Replying I am 58, I was told that 'surely you're not expecting to be here in 200 years, so why are you planning for the future?' Now there's a philosophical question! I may slow down but I want to live my life to the full so a new experience like West Cork Farm Tours is to be embraced and enjoyed. The opportunity to meet people, to answer the questions, to listen to their experiences, keeps the brain cells active. 


More than that though, the farmers in West Cork Farm Tours (5 farms) trust each other; help each other and look out for each other. This give me a good feeling for the future. We are all working farms and at various times and with very little notice, someone has had to step into the breach. The call goes out on the WhatsApp group, ' Help' and to date, no visitor has been disappointed; there's always someone willing to help. We understand that things happen and that's life. I believe though that what we're doing on a practical scale is showing our children that when we are called, we will go the extra mile to ensure that everyone on a West Cork Farm Tour is given the best experience possible. That's a good habit.

Please stop & admire me!

Because I'm walking our land with visitors, I find I have to slow down - another good habit. The objective isn't to race from A to Z by the fastest possible route; it's almost contemplative.
We stop to admire the pigs in their various paddocks, look at some of the trees that have been recently planted before heading across the stream then wandering along beside it listening to the water tumble over the stones and taste the wild mint. Then the path takes a turn into the cooler darker atmosphere of the Sitka Spruce before strolling into what we call the 'diverse' where we admire the Myrtle bushes; look at the damage wrought by Storm Ophelia and try the wild spearmint. Out and into a field which will be transformed over the next five years or so and back into the Sitka Spruce as the track meanders back to the stream. Sauntering back up the track, there are more pigs to be considered and admired. That little stroll generally takes up to two hours.
I find I return to regular work refreshed and many of the stresses of daily life are bearable.
This Wednesday, I plan to be in Catering Block C with Irish Food Tours in the FBD Food by Design marquee. I will be talking about West Cork Farm Tours - our diversity & our collaboration - and West Cork Food and probably refer often to the recent A Taste of West Cork Food Festival together with a few of my recipes. Meanwhile Maurice will be in Block 4, Row 13, Stand 280 (The Local Enterprise Village) so it's a busy week following on from the 10 day festival that is A Taste of West Cork. In another post, I'll give you some of my highlights.
Until next time
Avril

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ground rules

Life is too short to waste on useless negativity

A Mindful Space