No Man is an Island

              
"No man is an island, Entire of itself". The first part of this quote I'm sure you've heard as often as I have. Until today on Twitter, I didn't know it was attributed to John Donne, poet & future dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, was born on this day in 1615.
But back to the quotation. I often wonder why people withdraw from their communities and try to live completely independently without recourse to another human. Of course, it's somewhat easier nowadays with an internet connection, but why do it. For some it's a conscious decision to 'go it alone', for others it could be from a religious motivation to allow greater time to focus on God and faith as in the hermit style of living; but I believe that many try to live like this because they've been hurt in the past.
Recently I wasn't too well, and the way I deal with illness is to be like a cat! I withdraw to 'lick my wounds'. Whether it's physical, mental or emotional hurt, it hurts! To deal with hurt, some, including me, find it easier to become an island in case of further injury and yes, I know, that in the long run, it's not healthy so after a few days I reconnect. Unfortunately, reconnecting with those we love can result in even greater hurt and so the cycle continues. 
I try to remember that life is very short and holding onto hurts and history of hurts is no way to live in the present with an eye to the future. So for my own health, I imagine washing away the hurts until everything is absolutely clean. 
I think we should have this poem written somewhere we have to easily see it. It's worth remembering.
 
No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.
    
 
Until tomorrow
Avril                         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up

Life is too short to waste on useless negativity

The Annual Burns Supper this time next week.